Wednesday 22 April 2009

Wellington comes back to the Peninsula (April 22, 1809)

Portrait of Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington by Sir Thomas LawrenceWellington arrived to Lisbon on 22th April 1809. The following day, he sent two official letters, addressed to Marshall Beresford and General Cradock respectively. Beresford was the Supreme Commander of the Portuguese Army (the Portuguese Government has offered the command of its troops to a British officer, and the selection fell upon him). On the other hand, General Cradock was the C-i-C of the British forces in the Peninsula from early December 1808, and after the arrival of Wellesley he went to Gibraltar.

Lieut. General the Hon. Sir A. Wellesley, K.B., to Marshal Beresford. '
'My Dear Beresford,
'Lisbon, 23rd April, 1809.
' I arrived here yesterday, having had a passage of one week from Portsmouth. The fleet having on board my horses, the two regiments of heavy dragoons, and some horses for the artillery, sailed, I believe, on the day after I did, and may be expected in a day or two. The 24th foot may likewise be expected from Jersey, and likewise a brigade of light infantry from England, and a regiment of Hussars.
' The expectation of the immediate arrival of some of these troops, and the consideration of the various different arrangements to be made, and which can be made only here, in respect to transport, commissariat, staff, the defence of Lisbon and the Tagus, and eventually the defence of the eastern frontier, during the absence of the army to the northward, supposing it should be decided to undertake the expedition against Soult, will, I fear, detain me here for a few days; and it occurs to me that time will be saved, and much advantage will result from your being here. Accordingly I wish that you could make it convenient to yourself to come here as soon as possible.
' If, however, you should be of opinion that it would be inconvenient to the public service, on account of the state of discipline of the Portuguese troops, or for any other reason, that you should absent yourself from them ; or if the journey should be inconvenient to yourself, I request you not to come, and I must only delay deciding upon those points of the subject, on which it is advisable that I should have your opinion, till we meet.

' Believe me, &c. ' Marshal Beresford.' ' Arthur Wellesley.

' P.S. Pray let Cradock know if you should determine to come down.'


Lieut. General the Hon. Sir A. Wellesley, K.B., to Lieut. General Sir John Cradock, K.B.
'
My Dear Cradock,

' Lisbon, 23rd April, 1809.
'
Mr. Villiers will have informed you of my arrival here yesterday, and of the concurrence of my opinion with that which you appear to entertain in respect to the further movement to the northward.
I conclude you will have determined to halt the army at Leyria. I think that before any further steps are taken in respect to Soult, it would be desirable to consider the situation of Victor, how far he is enabled to make an attack upon Portugal, and the means of defence of the eastern frontier, while the British army shall be to the northward ; and eventually the means of the defence of Lisbon and the Tagus, in case this attack should be made upon this country.
' All these subjects must have been considered by you, and I fear in no very satisfactory point of view, as you appear to have moved to the northward unwillingly, and I should be glad to talk them over with you, in order to be able to consider some of them, and make various arrangements which can be made only here. I have asked Beresford also to come, if he should not deem his absence from the Portuguese troops in their present state likely to be disadvantageous to the Portuguese service, and I have desired him to let you know whether he will come or not.
It might possibly also be more agreeable and convenient to you to see me here than with the army, and if this should be the case, it would be a most desirable arrangement to meet you here; I beg, however, that you will consider this proposition only in a view to your own convenience and wishes. If you should come down, I should be much obliged to you if you would bring with you the Adjutant and Quarter Master Generals, the Chief Engineer, the Commanding Officer of Artillery, and the Commissary General.

' Believe me, &c. ' Lt. Gen. Sir John Cradock, K.B. ' ' Arthur Wellesley.


Taken from The dispatches of Field Marshall The Duke of Wellington. Vol.4. London 1835

No comments:

Post a Comment