Friday 18 June 2010

Waterloo Anniversary

Today, 18 June, is the 195th anniversary of the battle of Waterloo. An Imperial French army under the command of Emperor Napoleon was defeated by an Anglo-Allied army under the command of the Duke of Wellington combined with a Prussian army under the command of Gebhard von Blücher.
The defeat at Waterloo put an end to the Napoleonic era.


I want to recommend the reading of the Clausewitz's study of the campaign of 1815 , as translated by Christopher Bassford, Daniel Moran and Gregory W. Pedlon, and available free on Internet in the Clausewitz Home Page.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Rafa, that's a valuable online resource.

    I like to remember the 18th June every year as a tribute to all of those who fell in that terrible battle.

    I still have my original copy of John Naylor's 'Waterloo'(Pan books 1968 edition). This was the book that fired my imagination when I was about 15 years old and I have re read it so many times over the years I have lost count!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe its 195 years - when I first started Napoleonic wargaming it was only a few years after the 150th anniversary! I've still never been to the battlefield but hope to visit it before the 200th mark.

    Have you been to any of the Peninsular War battlefields?

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee
    The book that fired my imagination was 'Napoleonic Wargaming' of Grant...It was the combiantion of gaming and history that bring me here

    Ian
    I have visited Medina de Rioseco and Salamanca but not in detail...

    Cheers

    Rafa

    ReplyDelete