Sunday 1 January 2012

A small divertimento: the bridge at Wethau for Song of Drums and Shakos


I have found found another wargaming ruleset!
Yes I am a compulsive rule-set buyer, so when I read a small and fun AAR with the usual nice pictures in the Fitz-Badger's Soweiter League blog, I immediately fell in love with Songs of Drums and Shakos (or Song of Lace and Tricornes as Fitz-Badger named it) designed by Sergio Laliscia. A rapid visit to the Ganesha Games website and the e-books for Songs of Drums and Shakos and More Songs of Drums and Shakos (SDS and MSDS from onwards) were in my computer.
A visit to the Song of Blades Yahoo Group (SDS having the same rules engine than Song of Blades) provided me with more useful stuff - including an EXCEL calculator - whereas an internet surfing found some links of SDS blogs, like Drums & Shakos, Batrepps with provided me with some Solo Rules for SDS. So now I am ready for another experiment: skirmish games for small size patrols or squads.
The rule testing will be carried out by using a combination of two of the Scenarios included in SDS: Foraging Mission (the same used by Fitz-Badger) and Assault of the Farm. The night attack of the Austrian Jagers to take the bridge at Wetthau will be the history plot of the Scenario.
The New Year has started with wargaming novelties, so watch this space!


Share |

5 comments:

  1. Cool! I'll be interested to see how it goes. I should've mentioned the solo rules. Pretty simple really. I used them for the "French" side in the game I played, regular rules for the "British" side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, regarding playing SDS solo - I only used the very basic idea of rolling 3 different colored dice, plus a 4th d6 to determine if the roll was for 1, 2 or 3 dice. I hadn't come across Battrep's more nuanced version. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been searching at outr local club the "holy-grail" of the Napoleonic rules but have failed miserably last year. The favourite set so far is Lasalle, but I won't consider it that "holy grail". I will read with interest your comments and opinions about Drums & Shakos

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look quite good-I look forward to seeing your views.

    ReplyDelete