Today is the bicentenary of the end of the siege of Badajoz (16 March – 6 April 1812) when the Anglo-Portuguese Army, under the Earl of Wellington, forced the surrender of the French garrison.
Badajoz was one of the key fortresses in the Portuguese-Spanish border possessed much stronger fortifications than either Almeida or Ciudad Rodrigo. Located in the highway Madrid-Lisbon, Badajoz was fundamental for the British army and had already faced two unsuccessful sieges during the Peninsular War. In 1812 the French garrison amounted to some 5,000 soldiers under General Philippon. The town and was well prepared for a third attempt, having its walls strengthened and covered by numerous strongpoints and bastions and with some areas around the curtain wall flooded or mined with explosives.
With the fall of Badajoz, Wellington had secured the Portuguese–Spanish frontier anf he could now move against Marshal Marmont at Salamanca.
Taken and extracted from Wikipedia
The pictures and the map are taken from a masterly post in the blog of Miguel Angel Garcia.
The map itself is from the Cartografía de la Guerra de la Independencia, edited in 2008 by the Spanish Ministerio de Defensa. The site allows the 'Search' ('Búsqueda') of any map of the printed work. Try with 'Badajoz' in the 'Title' ('Título') box.